Skip to Main Content
Is Eastern Hardwood Sawtimber Becoming Scarcer?Author(s): William G. Luppold; Gilbert P. Dempsey; Gilbert P. Dempsey
Source: Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 13(1): 46-49.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (209.36 KB)
DescriptionIn recent years the hardwood lumber industry has become increasingly concerned about the availability and quality of hardwood sawtimber. However, these concerns seem to contradict USDA Forest Service estimates of increased volume and quality of hardwood sawtimber. This paper examines changes in eastern hardwood sawtimber inventories and the apparent contradiction between the industry's perception of decreasing sawtimber availability and the Forest Service's contention of increasing timber inventories. This study did not find a single explanation for the apparent contradiction. Many of the perceived differences appear to result from the fact that industry draws its conclusions from specific situations confined to finite procurement areas while Forest Survey statistics are based on aggregated data.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLuppold, William G.; Dempsey, Gilbert P. 1996. Is Eastern Hardwood Sawtimber Becoming Scarcer?. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 13(1): 46-49.
- A comparative analysis of hardwood sawtimber quality of national forests versus adjacent lands
- Issues affecting the interpretation of eastern hardwood resource statistics
- The changing structure of the hardwood lumber industry with implications on technology adaptation
XML: View XML