Skip to Main Content
Active contours on statistical manifolds and texture segmentationAuthor(s): Sang-Mook Lee; A. Lynn Abbott; Neil A. Clark; Philip A. Araman
Source: In: 2005 International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP): September 11-14, 2005, Genova, Italy. Piscataway, NJ: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers: 828-831
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (802 KB)
DescriptionA new approach to active contours on statistical manifolds is presented. The statistical manifolds are 2- dimensional Riemannian manifolds that are statistically defined by maps that transform a parameter domain onto a set of probability density functions. In this novel framework, color or texture features are measured at each image point and their statistical characteristics are estimated. This is different from statistical representation of bounded regions. A modified Kullback-Leibler divergence, that measures dissimilarity between two density distributions, is added to the statistical manifolds so that a geometric interpretation of the manifolds becomes possible. With this framework, we can formulate a metric tensor on the statistical manifolds. Then, a geodesic active contour is evolved with the aid of the metric tensor. We show that the statistical manifold framework provides more robust and accurate texture segmentation results.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLee, Sang-Mook; Abbott, A. Lynn; Clark, Neil A.; Araman, Philip A. 2005. Active contours on statistical manifolds and texture segmentation. In: 2005 International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP): September 11-14, 2005, Genova, Italy. Piscataway, NJ: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers: 828-831
Keywordsstatistical manifolds, active contours, texture segmentation, Kullback-Leibler divergence
- Active contours on statistical manifolds and texture segmentaiton
- A procedure for classifying textural facies in gravel-bed rivers
- Modeling broad-scale patterns of avian species richness across the Midwestern United States with measures of satellite image texture
XML: View XML