Skip to Main Content
The Pacific Northwest Research Station biodiversity initiative: collaborating for biodiversity management.Author(s): Peter Nelson; Rachel White; Randy. Molina
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-670. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 32 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.23 MB)
DescriptionThe Pacific Northwest Research Station launched a biodiversity initiative to assist natural resource professionals in integrating complex biodiversity concepts into natural resource management processes. We canvassed clients from various affiliations to determine the main challenges they face in biodiversity management, to define their information needs, and to understand how best to deliver biodiversity information within a collaborative framework. The biodiversity management challenges that emerged included (1) the lack of well-defined biodiversity management policies, (2) understanding and quantifying the interaction effects between a number of factors (e.g., disturbance types, management practices) and biodiversity, (3) the lack of applied biodiversity monitoring strategies, (4) difficulty in locating and accessing biodiversity information, and (5) balancing conflicting values relating to biodiversity. We also list the biodiversity information product needs of clients, as well as preferred technology transfer methods, and we discuss the future direction of the biodiversity initiative.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNelson, Peter; White, Rachel; Molina, Randy. 2006. The Pacific Northwest Research Station biodiversity initiative: collaborating for biodiversity management. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-670. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 32 p
Keywordsbiological diversity, natural resource management, biodiversity information, information needs assessment, resource managers, Pacific Northwest
- The Pacific Northwest Research Station biodiversity initiative: scooping out the challenges in managing for biodiversity.
- Traditional and local ecological knowledge about forest biodiversity in the Pacific Northwest.
- Monitoring late-successional forest biodiversity in the Pacific Northwest, U.S.A.
XML: View XML