Skip to Main Content
Ethanol and (-)-α-Pinene: Attractant Kairomones for Some Large Wood-Boring Beetles in Southeastern USAAuthor(s): Daniel R. Miller
Source: Journal Chem Ecol
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (344 KB)
DescriptionEthanol and α-pinene were tested as attractants for large wood-boring pine beetles in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina in 2002 –2004. Multiple-funnel traps baited with (-)-α-pinene (released at about 2 g/d at 25–28 degrees C) were attractive to the following Cerambycidae: Acanthocinus nodosus, A. obsoletus, Arhopalus rusticus nubilus, Asemum striatum, Monochamus titillator, Prionus pocularis, Xylotrechus integer, and X. sagittatus sagittatus. Buprestis lineate (Buprestidae), Alaus myops (Elateridae), and Hylobius pales and Pachylobius picivorus (Curculionidae) were also attracted to traps baited with (-)-α-pinene. In many locations, ethanol synergized attraction of the cerambycids Acanthocinus nodosus, A. obsoletus, Arhopalus r. nubilus, Monochamus titillator, and Xylotrechus s. sagittatus (but not Asemum striatum, Prionus pocularis, or Xylotrechus integer) to traps baited with (-)-α-pinene. Similarly, attraction of Alaus myops, Hylobius pales, and Pachylobius picivorus (but not Buprestis lineate) to traps baited with (-)-α-pinene was synergized by ethanol. These results provide support for the use of traps baited with ethanol and (-)-α-pinene to detect and monitor common large wood-boring beetles from the southeastern region of the USA at ports-of-entry in other countries, as well as forested areas in the USA.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationMiller, Daniel R. 2006. Ethanol and (-)-α-Pinene: Attractant Kairomones for Some Large Wood-Boring Beetles in Southeastern USA. Journal Chem Ecol
KeywordsCerambycidae, Xylotrechus, Monochamus, Acanthocinus, Curculionidae, Hylobius, Pachylobius, Elateridae, Alaus, Ethanol, α-Pinene, Kairomone, Exotics
- Ethanol and (-)-a-pinene: attractant kairomones for some large wood-boring beetles in Southeastern USA
- Comparison of arboreal beetle catches in wet and dry collection cups with lindgren multiple funnel traps
- Bark Beetle pheromones and pine volatiles: Attractant Kairomone Lure Blend for Longhorn Beetles (Cerambycidae) in pine stands of the southeastern United States.
XML: View XML