Skip to Main Content
The relict darter, Etheostoma chienense (Percidae): status review of a Kentucky endemicAuthor(s): Melvin L. Warren; Brooks M. Burr; Christopher A. Taylor
Source: Trans. Ky. Acad. Sci., 55(1-2), p. 20-27
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (851 KB)
DescriptionThe distribution, microhabitat affinity and availability, and conservative estimates of numbers of Etheostoma chienense, the relict darter, were assessed. All known historical sites and sites in nearby drainages that might harbor the species were surveyed. The relict darter is endemic to the Bayou du chien drainage, Graves and Hickman counties, Kentucky, where it is most abundant in Jackson Creek and a limited reach of upper Bayou du Chien near the town of Water Valley. The species has a decided affinity for undercut banks and adjacent narrow (<4 ,), shallow (<25 cm), moderately flowing (<0.3 ,/sec) runs underlain with sandy gravel. At the 5 sites yielding the species, estimates of the extent of suitable habitat ranged from <5 to 110 m of stream. Suitable cover and spawning habitat were deemed primary limiting factors for the species. Given its limited distribution and apparent dependence on one spawning area, the relict darter is extremely vulnerable to anthropogenic activities.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWarren, Melvin L., Jr.; Burr, Brooks M.; Taylor, Christopher A. 1994. The relict darter, Etheostoma chienense (Percidae): status review of a Kentucky endemic. Trans. Ky. Acad. Sci., 55(1-2), p. 20-27
- Conservation assessment of the Yazoo Darter (etheostoma raneyi)
- Life History Of The Yazoo Darter (Percidae: Etheostoma Raneyi), A Species Endemic To North-Central Mississippi
- Microhabitat estimation of an imperiled headwater fish, the Yazoo darter (Etheostoma raneyi), in Coastal Plain streams
XML: View XML