Skip to Main Content
Measurement of coarse gravel and cobble transport using portable bedload trapsAuthor(s): Kristin Bunte; Steven R. Abt; John P. Potyondy; Sandra E. Ryan
Source: Journal of hydraulic engineering. Vol. 130, no. 9 (Sept. 2004): p. 879-893.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (400 B)
DescriptionPortable bedload traps (0.3 by 0.2 m opening) were developed for sampling coarse bedload transport in mountain gravel-bed rivers during wadable high flows. The 0.9 m long trailing net can capture about 20 kg of gravel and cobbles. Traps are positioned on ground plates anchored in the streambed to minimize disturbance of the streambed during sampling. This design permits sampling times of up to 1 h, overcoming short-term temporal variability issues. Bedload traps were tested in two streams and appear to collect representative samples of gravel bedload transport. Bedload rating and flow competence curves are well-defined and steeper than those obtained by a HelleySmith sampler. Rating curves from both samplers differ most at low flow but approach each other near bankfull flow. Critical flow determined from bedload traps is similar using the largest grain and the small transport rate method, suggesting suitability of bedload trap data for incipient motion studies.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBunte, Kristin; Abt, Steven R.; Potyondy, John P.; Ryan, Sandra E. 2004. Measurement of coarse gravel and cobble transport using portable bedload traps. Journal of hydraulic engineering. Vol. 130, no. 9 (Sept. 2004): p. 879-893.
Keywordsbed loads, gravel, incipient motion, sampling, sediment transport, transport rate, measurement
- A comparison of coarse bedload transport measured with bedload traps and Helley Smith samplers
- Defining phases of bedload transport using piecewise regression
- The nature of flow and sediment movement in Little Granite Creek near Bondurant, Wyoming
XML: View XML