Skip to Main Content
Defect detection on hardwood logs using high resolution three-dimensional laser scan dataAuthor(s): Liya Thomas; Lamine Mili; Clifford A. Shaffer; Ed Thomas; Ed Thomas
Source: In: 2004 international conference on image processing; 2004 October 24-27; IEEE. 1: 243-246.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (366.6 KB)
DescriptionThe location, type, and severity of external defects on hardwood logs and skills are the primary indicators of overall log quality and value. External defects provide hints about the internal log characteristics. Defect data would improve the sawyer's ability to process logs such that a higher valued product (lumber) is generated. Using a high-resolution laser log scanner, we scanned and digitally photographed 162 red-oak and yellow-poplar logs. By means of a new robust estimator that performs circle fitting, a residual image is extracted from laser scan data that are corrupted by extreme outliers induced by the scanning equipment and loose bark. The residuals provide information to identify defects with height differentiation from the log surface. Combining simple shape definition rules with the height map allows most severe defects to be detected by determining the contour levels of a residual image. In addition, bark texture changes can be examined such that defects not associated with a height change might be detected.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThomas, Liya; Mili, Lamine; Shaffer, Clifford A.; Thomas, Ed. 2004. Defect detection on hardwood logs using high resolution three-dimensional laser scan data. In: 2004 international conference on image processing; 2004 October 24-27; IEEE. 1: 243-246.
- Primary detection of hardwood log defects using laser surface scanning
- Nondestructive evaluation of defects in wood pallet parts by ultrasonic scanning
- Equations for predicting internal log defect measurements of common Appalachian hardwoods
XML: View XML