Skip to Main Content
Observations of watersnake (Nerodia, Colubridae predation on Darters (Percidae)Author(s): Melvin L. Warren; Wendell R. Haag; Amy M. Commens
Source: In: Southeastern Fishes Council Proceedings: Dedicated to the Conservation of Southeastern Fishes No 47: 1-2
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (319 KB)
DescriptionWe report observations of predation by watersnakes (Nerodia, colubridae) on darters (Percidae)and summarize other literature documenting this relationship. We observed two midland watersnakes, Nerodia sipedon pleuralis, preying on darters (Percidae) in the Sipsey Fork of the Black Warrior River (Mobile Basin), Bankhead National Forest, Winston County, AL on 7 and 8 August 2002. We observed the snakes (about 250 and 500 mm total length) with their captured darters in separate, shallow (<0.6m ) runs. We identified the darters as an adult river darter, Percina shumardi, and an adult Tuskaloosa darter, Etheostoma douglasi, two of the most abundant benthic fishes in shallow flowing waters of the river. Compilation of our observations and the literature on Nerodia diet's revealed 12 species of darters (seven Etheostoma and five Percina) are documented prey of Nerodia. Our results suggest watersnake predation is a frequent, but relatively poorly known, source of mortality for darters.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWarren, Melvin L., Jr.; Haag, Wendell R.; Commens, Amy M. 2004. Observations of watersnake (Nerodia, Colubridae predation on Darters (Percidae). In: Southeastern Fishes Council Proceedings: Dedicated to the Conservation of Southeastern Fishes No 47: 1-2
- Host fishes and reproductive biology of 6 freshwater mussel species from the Mobile Basin, USA
- Seasonal feeding specialization on snails by river darters (Percina shumardi) with a review of snail feeding by other darter species
- Phylogeography of three snubnose darters (Percidae: subgenus Ulocentra) endemic to the southeastern U.S
XML: View XML