Skip to Main Content
Hardwood lumber widths and grades used by the furniture and cabinet industries: Results of a 14-mill surveyAuthor(s): Jan Wiedenbeck; John Brown; Neal Bennett; Everette Rast
Source: Forest Products Journal. 53(4): 72-80.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionData on red oak lumber width, length, and grade were collected at 14 furniture and cabinet industry rough mills to identify relationships among these lumber attributes and the degree to which they differ from mill to mill. Also, this information is needed to formulate valid lumber size distributions that will improve the quality of theresults obtained in mill and simulation-based studies of rough mill processing and product options. The width of the dry, 4/4 thickness, red oak lumber sample was significantly influenced by lumber grade, lumber length, and mill. The dominant lumber widthclass was 5.00to 6.75 inches (47 % of all boards). Boards in the FAS andFAS-1F grades were wider than those in the No. 1, No. 2A, and No. 3A Common grades, and these were wider than the Selects grade boards. There was significant variability in lumber size attributes between mills, supporting the contention that each mill must collect its own data on lumber size and quality characteristics for optimal decision making. Grade-based lumber size distribution charts are given that can be used to compose study sam-ples when conducting rough mill research.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWiedenbeck, Jan; Brown, John; Bennett, Neal; Rast, Everette. 2003. Hardwood lumber widths and grades used by the furniture and cabinet industries: Results of a 14-mill survey. Forest Products Journal. 53(4): 72-80.
- A comprehensive defect data bank for no. 2 common oak lumber
- Crook and overlength in hardwood lumber:results from a 14-mill survey
- Long length cuttings from no. 2 common hardwood lumber
XML: View XML