Skip to Main Content
Options for Small-Diameter Hardwood Utilization: Past and PresentAuthor(s): Matthew S. Bumgardner; Bruce G. Hansen; Albert T. Schuler; Philip A. Araman; Philip A. Araman
Source: In: Pelkki, Matthew H., ed. Proceedings of the annual meeting of the Southern Forest Economics Workers (SOFEW), hardwoods - an underdeveloped resource; 2000 March 26-28; Lexington, KY. Monticello, AR: University of Arkansas: 1-7.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1019.5 KB)
DescriptionEffective and maximum value use of small-diameter hardwood timber has long been of interest to forest managers and researchers. In addition to being a significant component of the standing forest base, small-diameter hardwoods often are available after thinning or other tending operations. Although the use of this material is important to achieving healthy and sustainable forests and other ecosystem management objectives, finding economical uses is sometimes difficult. Much prior research has addressed small-diameter hardwood utilization. After discussing some forest statistics concerning the small-diameter hardwood resource, this paper reviews past small-diameter research and provides an overview of one small-diameter strategy, called System 6. It concludes by looking at evolving markets and utilization opportunities for small-diameter hardwoods.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBumgardner, Matthew S.; Hansen, Bruce G.; Schuler, Albert T.; Araman, Philip A. 2001. Options for Small-Diameter Hardwood Utilization: Past and Present. In: Pelkki, Matthew H., ed. Proceedings of the annual meeting of the Southern Forest Economics Workers (SOFEW), hardwoods - an underdeveloped resource; 2000 March 26-28; Lexington, KY. Monticello, AR: University of Arkansas: 1-7.
- Options for small-diameter hardwood utilization: past and present
- Assessing the influence of forest ownership type and location on roundwood utilization at the stump and top in a region with small-diameter markets
- Analyzing the feasibility of utilizing small diameter hardwood timber for solid wood products and residues
XML: View XML