Bull trout distributions related to temperature regimes in four central Idaho streamsAuthor(s): Susan B. Adams; Theodore C. Bjornn
Source: In: Friends of the bull Trout Converence Proceedings. 371-380
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.06 MB)
bull trout Salvelinus confluentus distributions and water temperature regimes were studied in four streams in the Weiser River basin, Idaho, in 1992 and 1993. bull trout occurred at elevations ranging from 1,472 m to 2,182 m and at densities up to 9.5 fish per 100 m2. Bull trout were sympatric with rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss in all streams and with brook trout S. fontinalis and brook trout x bull trout hybrids in two streams.
Summer temperatures were continuously recorded in 1992 and 1993. The 1993 temperature monitoring sites were at the upstream and downstream distribution limits of juvenile bull troub, the upstream limits of either the brook trout or the rainbow trout distribution, and six additional locations. Temperatures recorded from June through September 1993 varied from 0.8 to 18.2oC. In 1992, juvenile and adult bull trout were found in 20.5oC water where no other species were present. Some bull trout occupied a cool water refugium, which may have been critical to their survival in one stream reach.
Cumulative temperature units were similiar among the downstream distribution limits of bull trout in three of the four streams. Temperature units may be more indicative than maximum temperatures of the downstream limits of the bull trout distribution. apparently, summer water temperature is an important, but no singular, factore determining bull trout distributions in the Weiser River Basin.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAdams, Susan B.; Bjornn, Theodore C. 1997. Bull trout distributions related to temperature regimes in four central Idaho streams. In: Friends of the bull Trout Converence Proceedings. 371-380
- Rainbow trout versus brook trout biomass and production under varied climate regimes in small southern Appalachian streams
- Have brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) displaced bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) along longitudinal gradients in central Idaho streams?
- Influence of fire on native and nonnative salmonid populations and habitat in a western Montana basin
XML: View XML