Isolation, identification, synthesis and biological activity of volatile compounds from the heads of Atta antsAuthor(s): R. G. Riley; R. M. Silverstein; John C. Moser
Source: J. Insect Physiol., Vol. 20: 1629-1637
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (687 KB)
S-(+)-4-methyl-3-hetanone has been identified as the principal alarm pheromone of Atta texana and Atta cephalotes. Both enantiomers of 4-methyl-3-heptanone have been synthesized and their biological activities have been compared on both species of ants. Comparison of the geometric averages of responnse rations, at threshold concentration levels on A. texana, showed S-(+)-4-methyl-3-heptanone to be about 100 times more active than the (-)(+)-4-methyl-3-heptanone by the (-) enantiomer. A less rigorous study on A. cephalotes shoes S-(+)-4-methyl-3-heptanone.
Both ant species produce 3-octanone, possible trace amounts of 3-octanol, and both diasteremoers of 4-methyl-3-heptanol. A. texana also produces (+)-2-heptanol, 2-heptanone, and 3-heptanol. A. cephaloteS contains trace amounts of 2-heptanone.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRiley, R. G.; Silverstein, R. M.; Moser, John C. 1974. Isolation, identification, synthesis and biological activity of volatile compounds from the heads of Atta ants. J. Insect Physiol., Vol. 20: 1629-1637
- Antennal olfactory responsiveness of the Texas leaf cutting ant (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) to trail pheromone and its two alarm substances
- A volatile trail Pheromone of the Leaf-Cutting Ant, Atta Texana
- Chemistry of venom alkaloids in some Solenopsis (Diplorhoptrum) species from Puerto Rico
XML: View XML