Skip to Main Content
Forest resources of Prince William Sound and Afognak Island, Alaska: their character and ownership, 1978.Author(s): Wlllem W.S. van Hees
Source: Res. Bull. PNW-RB-163. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 36 p
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (741 KB)
DescriptionThe 1978 inventory of the forest resources of Prince William Sound and Afognak Island was designed to produce estimates of timberland area, volumes of timber, and growth and mortality of timber. Estimates of timber resource quantities were also categorized by owner. Nearly 56 percent of the available timberland area is under Forest Service management, and almost 40 percent is held by private interests. Total available timberland area was estimated at 648,454 acres. Cubic-foot volume on this timberland was estimated at 2.93 billion cubic feet. Timber growth and mortality were estimated at 19.51 million and 3.13 million cubic feet, respectively, Detailed tables provide additional breakdowns of inventory results. The inventory was conducted in 1977 and 1978; data compilation progressed through final update in 1988 to include current ownership summaries.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
Citationvan Hees, Wlllem W.S. 1989. Forest resources of Prince William Sound and Afognak Island, Alaska: their character and ownership, 1978. Res. Bull. PNW-RB-163. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 36 p
KeywordsForest surveys, timber resources, statistics (forest), Alaska (south-central)
- Timber resource statistics for the Willow block, Susitna River Basin multiresource inventory unit, Alaska, 1978.
- Timber resource statistics for the Upper Yukon inventory unit, Alaska, 1980.
- Timber resource statistics for the Porcupine inventory unit ofAlaska, 1978.
XML: View XML