Skip to Main Content
Energy and raw material potentials of wood residue in the Pacific Coast States: a summary of a preliminary feasibility investigation.Author(s): John B. Grantham; Eldon Estep; John M. Pierovich; Harold Tarkow; Thomas C. Adams
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-018. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 37 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.18 MB)
DescriptionResults are reported of a preliminary investigation of feasibility of using wood residue to meet energy and raw material needs in the Pacific Coast States. Magnitude of needs was examined and volume of logging-residue and unused mill residue was estimated. Costs of obtaining and preprocessing logging residue for energy and pulp and particle board raw material were estimated and compared with selling values of mill residue fuel, pulp chips, and particle board. Marginally feasible energy use seemed best suited for inplant steam and power production by the wood industry, Although raw material selling values make wood residue use for products more attractive than for electric power generation, even these returns are seldom sufficient to meet the high costs of delivering logging residue for such use alone. Production of higher valued products or public absorption of extra costs of utilization can make these residue management alternatives more feasible.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGrantham, John B.; Estep, Eldon, M.; Pierovich, John M.; Tarkow, Harold; Adams, Thomas C. 1974. Energy and raw material potentials of wood residue in the Pacific Coast States: a summary of a preliminary feasibility investigation. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-018. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 37 p
KeywordsWood residues, raw material pulp and paper industry), energy
- Status of timber utilization on the Pacific Coast.
- Estimates of wood energy demand for residential use in Alaska: an update
- Economic analysis of a small-sized combined heat and power plant using forest biomass in the Republic of Korea
XML: View XML