Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Selecting forest residue treatment alternatives using goal programming.Author(s): Bruce B. Bare; Brian F. Anholt
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-043. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 26 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (695 KB)
DescriptionThe use of goal programing for selecting forest residue treatment alternatives within a multiple goal framework is described. The basic features of goal programing are reviewed and illustrated with a hypothetical problem involving the selection of residue treatments for 10 cutting units. Twelve residue-regeneration treatment combinations are evaluated by using physical, economic, and environmental goals. Empirical results are reported for four different goal priority sets. An interpretation of the sensitivity of the optimal treatment schedule associated with each priority set is also presented. Results indicate that goal programing offers considerable promise as an operational decisionmaking tool. Unresolved problems include the selection of decision variables and the quantification of goal attainment levels, goal preferences, and the relationships between forest residue treatment methods and managerial goals.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBare, Bruce B.; Anholt, Brian F. 1976. Selecting forest residue treatment alternatives using goal programming. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-043. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 26 p
Keywordsforest residues, computer programs
- An optimization approach to selecting research natural areas in National Forests
- Goal programming for land use planning.
- Forest residues in hemlock-spruce forests of the Pacific Northwest and Alaska: a state-of-knowledge review with recommendations for residue management.
XML: View XML