Skip to Main Content
Charts for interpreting wildland fire behavior characteristicsAuthor(s): Patricia L. Andrews; Richard C. Rothermel
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. INT-131. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. 21 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Intermountain Forest Experiment Station
Download Publication (1.8 MB)
DescriptionThe fire characteristics chart is proposed as a graphical method ofpresenting two primary characteristics of fire behavior – spread rate and intensity. Its primary use is communicating and interpreting either site-specific predictions of fire behavior or National Fire-Danger Rating System (NFDRS) indexes and components. Rate of spread, heat per unit area, flame length, and fireline intensity, are plotted on a fire behavior chart. Spread component, energy release component, and burning index are plotted on an NFDRS chart. Specific examples illustrate potential application.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAndrews, Patricia L.; Rothermel, Richard C. 1982. Charts for interpreting wildland fire behavior characteristics. Gen. Tech. Rep. INT-131. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. 21 p
Keywordsfire behavior, fire spread, fire intensity, fire-danger rating, NationalFire-Danger Rating System
- How to generate and interpret fire characteristics charts for the U.S. fire danger rating system
- How to generate and interpret fire characteristics charts for surface and crown fire behavior
- Fire characteristics charts for fire behavior and U.S. fire danger rating
XML: View XML