Skip to Main Content
Midsouth forest area trendsAuthor(s): Richard A. Birdsey; William H. McWilliams
Source: Resour. Bull. SO-107. New Orleans, Louisiana: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 17 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (336 KB)
DescriptionThe forest inventory and analysis unit of the southern forest experiment stations (Forest Survey) conducts periodic inventories at approximately 10-year intervals of the forest resources of the Midsouth States (fig. 1). This report contains a summary of forest acreage estimates made between 1950 and 1985. The statistics are based on published forest survey reports and survey archives. Because each state is inventoried successively in a continuous cycle, area estimates were adjusted to common years through interpolation between actual survey dates, and extrapolation to earlier or later years. Minor adjustments were made for definitional or procedural changes that have occurred in the survey process. Area estimates by ownership classes were adjusted to conform with enumerated data on public landholdings in each state. Forest Service planting records and long-range ownership trends were used to provide cross-tabulations by owner and forest classes for some of the earlier surveys.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBirdsey, Richard A.; McWilliams, William H. 1986. Midsouth forest area trends. Resour. Bull. SO-107. New Orleans, Louisiana: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 17 p.
- Forest statistics for Arkansas counties - 1988
- Forest statistics for Alabama: A report of the Southern forest survey
- Forest statistics for the Piedmont of South Carolina, 1993
XML: View XML