Skip to Main Content
Forest statistics for Arkansas' delta counties - 1988Author(s): F. Dee Hines
Source: Resour. Bull. SO-133. New Orleans, Louisiana: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 45 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (901 KB)
DescriptionThe 1988 survey of the Arkansas Delta showed the following changes since the 1978 survey:
- Timberland area now covers 1,899.0 thousand acres, up 4 percent since 1978.
- forest industry-owned timberland decreased 11 percent, other privately owned timberland increased 7 percent.
- Area covered by the loblolly-shortleaf forest type is up to 26 percent.
- Oak-pine forest type showed a 20-percent decrease in acreage.
- bottomland hardwood forest types increased by 38.0 thousand acres, 3 percent.
- Sawtimber stands increased 9 percent, poletimber stands decreased 5 percent, sapling-seedling stands decreased 3 percent.
- Plantations now cover 53.2 thousand acres, an increase of 116 percent.
- softwood volumes have increased, 23 percent for growing stock, 14 percent for sawtimber.
- Hardwood volumes have increased 26 percent for growing stock, 31 percent for sawtimber.
- Softwood growth and removals, growing stock and sawtimber, have increased.
- Hardwood growth on growing stock is down, growth on sawtimber is up.
- Removals of hardwood, both growing stock and sawtimber, have decreased substantially.
- Mortality estimates are up.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDee Hines, F. 1988. Forest statistics for Arkansas'' delta counties - 1988. Resour. Bull. SO-133. New Orleans, Louisiana: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 45 p.
- Forest statistics for Arkansas' Ozark counties - 1988
- Forest statistics for Mississippi Delta counties - 1987
- Forest statistics for Central Mississippi counties - 1987
XML: View XML