Skip to Main Content
Forest statistics for Arkansas' Ozark counties - 1988Author(s): F. Dee Hines
Source: Resour. Bull. SO-131. New Orleans, Louisiana: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 45 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (6.37 MB)
DescriptionThe 1988 survey of the Ozark Unit in Arkansas showed several changes since the 1978 survey.
- Timberland area now covers 5729.6 thousand acres, up 10 percent since 1978
- Private ownership accounts for 4417.1 thousand acres, up 11 percent.
- Area covered by loblolly-shortleaf forest type is up 16 percent.
- Oak-pine forest types showed a 22 percent increase in acreage.
- Bottomland hardwood forest types increased by 66.2 thousand acres, 48 percent.
- Sawtimber stands increased 30 percent, poletimber stands increased 26 percent, sapling-seedling stands decreased 29 percent.
- Plantation acreage is up 74 percent.
- Softwood volumes have increased; 26 percent for growing stock, 25 percent for sawtimber.
- Hardwood volumes have increased, 39 percent for growing stock, 54 percent for sawtimber.
- Softwood growth and removals decreased for both growing stock and sawtimber.
- hardwood growth estimates for growing stock and sawtimber are up substantially from the 1978 estimates.
- Removals of hardwood growing stock have decreased, while removals of hardwood sawtimber have increased.
- Mortality estimates are up more than 90 percent.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDee Hines, F. 1988. Forest statistics for Arkansas'' Ozark counties - 1988. Resour. Bull. SO-131. New Orleans, Louisiana: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 45 p.
- Forest statistics for Arkansas' delta counties - 1988
- Forest statistics for Central Mississippi counties - 1987
- Forest statistics for Central Tennessee counties - 1989
XML: View XML