Skip to Main Content
Knowledge-Based Information Management for Watershed Analysis in the Pacific Northwest U.S.Author(s): Keith Reynolds; Richard Olson; Michael Saunders; Donald Latham; Michael Foster; Bruce Miller; Lawrence Bednar; Daniel Schmoldt; Patrick Cunningham; John Steffenson
Source: Proceedings, Statistics, Mathematics and Computers. IUFRO XX World Congress. 159-170.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (60 KB)
DescriptionWe are developing a knowledge-based information management system to provide decision support for watershed analysis in the Pacific Northwest region of the U.S. The system includes: (1) a GIS interface that allows users to graphically navigate to specific provinces and watersheds and display a variety of themes and other area-specific information, (2) an analysis component that helps identify major concerns and the hierarchies of associated ecosystem processes requiring analysis, and assists the user in selecting an appropriate subset of analyses and in identifying and prioritizing data requirements and their sources, (3) a report manager that displays the history, status, and details of analyses, (4) a project manager that assists with planning and monitoring of data acquisition, and (5) a hypermedia system that provides access to information in various policy and procedure documents. The core of the system is the analysis component which contains dependency networks that link problem-solving knowledge about concerns, ecosystem processes, and data to specific landscape units. The goal dependency approach provides a scientifically sound method for determining data requirements, as well as a basis for prioritizing, acquiring, and evaluating information for watershed analyses.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationReynolds, Keith; Olson, Richard; Saunders, Michael; Latham, Donald; Foster, Michael; Miller, Bruce; Bednar, Lawrence; Schmoldt, Daniel; Cunningham, Patrick; Steffenson, John. 1996. Knowledge-Based Information Management for Watershed Analysis in the Pacific Northwest U.S. Proceedings, Statistics, Mathematics and Computers. IUFRO XX World Congress. 159-170.
- A Knowledge-Based Information Management System for Watershed Analysis in the Pacific Northwest U.S.
- Knowledge-Based Information Management in Decision Support for Ecosystem Management
- A review of scientific information on issues related to the use and management of water resources in the Pacific Northwest.
XML: View XML