Skip to Main Content
Grassland rehabilitation (Rehabilitacion de Pastizales)Author(s): Mario Royo
Source: In: Basurto, Xavier; Hadley, Diana, eds. 2006. Grasslands ecosystems, endangered species, and sustainable ranching in the Mexico-U.S. borderlands: Conference proceedings. RMRS-P-40. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 63-65
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (125.19 KB)
DescriptionThe main goal of grassland rehabilitation is to reestablish vegetation, with the objectives of reducing soil erosion, incorporating more rainwater into the soil and aquifer, maintaining biodiversity, restoring scenic beauty, and attaining a site's forage potential, as well as maintaining and reproducing the native fauna. Pastures can be rehabilitated naturally by balancing animal numbers with appropriate grassland area and distributing animals appropriately, by resting and rotating pastures, and by controlling invasive shrubs and toxic plants. Areas can be rehabilitated artificially by seed dispersal or by the transplanting of forage species, together with efforts to conserve soil and water.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRoyo, Mario. 2006. Grassland rehabilitation (Rehabilitacion de Pastizales). In: Basurto, Xavier; Hadley, Diana, eds. 2006. Grasslands ecosystems, endangered species, and sustainable ranching in the Mexico-U.S. borderlands: Conference proceedings. RMRS-P-40. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 63-65
Keywordssemi-arid grasslands, endangered species, sustainable ranching, Mexico-U.S. borderlands, grassland rehabilitation
- Soil erosion studies in buffelgrass pastures
- Cow weights and calf production for pasture 12-C Lehmann lovegrass grazing trials, 1982 to 1993
- Historic and Current Conditions of Southwestern Grasslands
XML: View XML