Stratification of habitats for identifying habitat selection by Merriam's turkeysAuthor(s): Mark A. Rumble; Stanley H. Anderson
Source: Great Basin Naturalist. 52(2): 139-144.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (332.0 KB)
DescriptionHabitat selection patterns of Merriam’s Turkeys were compared in hierarchical analyses of three levels of habitat stratification. Habitat descriptions in first-level analyses were based on dominant species of vegetation. Habitat descriptions in second-level analyses were based on dominant species of vegetation and overstory canopy cover. Habitat descriptions in third-level analyses were based on dominant species of vegetation, overstory canopy cover, and structural stages (dbh categories). First-level analyses showed turkeys selected for ponderosa pine and selected against meadow habitats. No conclusions could be drawn regarding forest management on habitat selection of turkeys at this level of habitat stratification. Second-level analyses showed that selection of ponderosa pine and aspen/birch habitats varied among seasons. Implications for forest management activities on turkeys at this level of habitat stratification could be made. Third-level analyses added little to conclusions of habitat selection patterns drawn from second-level analyses and increased chances for Type II errors. Habitat selection patterns of Merriam’s Turkeys were best described when habitats were stratified by dominant species of vegetation and overstory canopy cover.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
Rumble, Mark A.; Anderson, Stanley H. 1992. Stratification of habitats for identifying habitat selection by Merriam's turkeys. Great Basin Naturalist. 52(2): 139-144.
KeywordsMerriam's wild turkeys, Meleagris gallopavo merriami, habitat descriptions, forest management, habitat selection
- Winter habitat selection patterns of Merriam's turkeys in the southern Black Hills, South Dakota
- Macrohabitat associations of Merriam's turkeys in the Black Hills, South Dakota
- Microhabitats of Merriam's turkeys in the Black Hills, South Dakota
XML: View XML