Skip to Main Content
Nonparametric projections of forest and rangeland condition indicators: A technical document supporting the 2005 USDA Forest Service RPA Assessment UpdateAuthor(s): John Hof; Curtis Flather; Tony Baltic; Rudy King
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-166. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 39 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (3.8 MB)
DescriptionThe 2005 Forest and Rangeland Condition Indicator Model is a set of classification trees for forest and rangeland condition indicators at the national scale. This report documents the development of the database and the nonparametric statistical estimation for this analytical structure, with emphasis on three special characteristics of condition indicator production processes: (1) the inability of humans to completely control ecological systems; (2) the lack of a theoretical basis for specific relational functional forms, suggesting the need for a highly flexible model structure; and (3) the broadscale spatial nature of the problem (and data). The resolution of data deficiencies is also examined. Finally, the model projections themselves are presented and discussed using national-scale maps.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHof, John; Flather, Curtis; Baltic, Tony; King, Rudy. 2006. Nonparametric projections of forest and rangeland condition indicators: A technical document supporting the 2005 USDA Forest Service RPA Assessment Update. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-166. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 39 p.
KeywordsResource interactions, land management planning, classification trees, modeling, environmental outputs
- National projections of forest and rangeland condition indicators: a supporting technical document for the 1999 RPA assessment.
- Projections of forest and rangeland condition indicators for a national assessment
- Forest and rangeland ecosystem condition indicators: identifying national areas of opportunity using data development analysis
XML: View XML