Skip to Main Content
The western prairie fringed orchid (Platanthera praeclara): monitoring and researchAuthor(s): Ardell J. Bjugstad; William Fortune
Source: In: Bragg, Thomas B.; Stubbendieck, James (eds.) Prairie pioneers: ecology, history and culture : proceedings of the Eleventh North American Prairie Conference held 7-11 August 1988, Lincoln, Nebraska. Lincoln, Neb.: University of Nebraska Printing: 197-199
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (253 KB)
DescriptionWestern prairie fringed orchid (Platanthera praeclara Sheviak and Bowles) Populations at one time extended from southwestern Missouri north to northwestern Minnesota, and from eastern Iowa to the Sandhills of north central Nebraska. It is listed as endangered in Iowa and Minnesota and candidate for threatened or endangered status in Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, and South Dakota. The questions are, “Why has it declined in numbers?” How have uses such as mowing for hay or grazing by cattle or no use (control) affected the numbers? In 1987, Permanently located individual plants were counted on the Sheyenne National Grasslands of southeastern North Dakota. Population trends of this orchid were compared regarding effects of mowing, grazing, and fire. The evaluation of the Permanently located individual plants, and data on total counts Per area in 1988 showed a difference between years and significant difference among grazed, mowed, or no use treatments. The western prairie fringed orchid appears very resilient, but more data will be needed to test this prognosis.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBjugstad, Ardell J.; Fortune, William. 1989. The western prairie fringed orchid (Platanthera praeclara): monitoring and research. In: Bragg, Thomas B.; Stubbendieck, James (eds.) Prairie pioneers: ecology, history and culture : proceedings of the Eleventh North American Prairie Conference held 7-11 August 1988, Lincoln, Nebraska. Lincoln, Neb.: University of Nebraska Printing: 197-199
Keywordswestern prairie fringed orchid, Platanthera praeclara, orchid, wet meadow, Sheyenne National Grasslands, North Dakota
- Quantifying suitable habitat of the threatened western prairie fringed orchid
- Spatial and temporal optimization in habitat placement for a threatened plant: the case of the western prairie fringed orchid
- Observation: Leafy spurge control in western prairie fringed orchid habitat
XML: View XML