Skip to Main Content
cis-Verbenol: An aggregation pheromone for the mountain pine beetle, Dendroctonus ponderosae Hopkins (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)Author(s): Daniel R. Miller; Jean P. Lafontaine
Source: J. Entomol. Soc. Brit. Columbia 88: 34-38
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (466 KB)
Descriptioncis-Verbenol increased catches of mail mountain pine beetles, Dendroctonus ponderosae Hopkins, to multiple-funnel traps baited with myrcene and exo-brevicomin. Cis-Verbenol had no effect on the response of males to traps baited with myrcene, exo-brevicomin and trans-verbenol. In contrast, cis-verbenol increased catches of female D. ponderosae to semiochemical-baited traps irrespective of the absence or presence of trans-verbenol. Our results demonstrate that cis-verbenol is an aggregation pheromone for D. ponderisae and that the combination of cis- and trans-verbenol elicits sex-specific response.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiller, Daniel R.; Lafontaine, Jean P. 1991. cis-Verbenol: An aggregation pheromone for the mountain pine beetle, Dendroctonus ponderosae Hopkins (Coleoptera: Scolytidae). J. Entomol. Soc. Brit. Columbia 88: 34-38
Keywordstrans-verbenol, myrcene, exo-brevicomin, sex-specificity
- Comparison of a -pinene and myrcene on attraction of mountain pine beetle, Dendroctonus ponderosae (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) to pheromones in stands of western white pine
- Pheromone interruption of pine engraver, Ips pini, by pheromones of mountain pine beetle, Dendroctonus ponderosae (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
- Dose-dependent pheromone responses of mountain pine beetle in stands of lodgepole pine
XML: View XML