Knock on wood: Is wood production sustainable in the Pacific Northwest?Author(s): Jonathan Thompson
Source: Science Findings 84. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 6 p.
Publication Series: Science Findings
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (828.0 KB)
DescriptionThe Pacific Northwest is one of the world’s major timber-producing regions, and its capacity to produce wood on a sustained-yield basis is widely recognized. Nonetheless, there has been increasing public interest in assuring that forests are being sustainably managed, as well as a desire by landowners to demonstrate their commitment to responsible stewardship.
Scientists from several universities and the PNW Research Station recently completed an initiative to synthesize existing research on wood production in the region. The initiative was guided by the needs of forest landowners and managers representing forest industry, small private forests, and state forest lands. They concluded that forest fragmentation and land use change, stagnating timber prices, and unfavorable public opinion regarding the scenic quality of intensive forest management were among the largest challenges to sustainable wood production in the region. New technologies and products in wood manufacturing, sustainable harvest levels, niche market opportunities, and underutilized tree species were identified as opportunities for landowners and managers interested in sustainable forestry.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThompson, Jonathan. 2006. Knock on wood: Is wood production sustainable in the Pacific Northwest?. Science Findings 84. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 6 p.
KeywordsWood, timber, sustained yield.
- Understanding key issues of sustainable wood production in the Pacific Northwest.
- Continuous cover forestry as part of sustainable forest management in the Pacific Northwest, USA
- The rise and fall of the Pacific Northwest log export market.
XML: View XML