Skip to Main Content
Nontimber forest product opportunities in Alaska.Author(s): David Pilz; Susan J. Alexander; Jerry Smith; Robert Schroeder; Jim Freed
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-671. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 79 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.02 MB)
DescriptionNontimber forest products from southern Alaska (also called special forest products) have been used for millennia as resources vital to the livelihoods and culture of Alaska Natives and, more recently, as subsistence resources for the welfare of all citizens. Many of these products are now being sold, and Alaskans seek additional income opportunities through sustainable harvest and manufacture of such forest resources. We discuss the unique legal, regulatory, land tenure, geographic, vegetation, and climatic context that southern Alaska presents for marketing nontimber forest products; summarize the various species and types of products being harvested; and consider the marketing challenges and opportunities new entrepreneurs will encounter. The information and resources we provide are intended to enhance income opportunities for all Alaskans, while sustaining the organisms harvested, respecting traditional activities, and ensuring equitable access to resources.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPilz, David; Alexander, Susan J.; Smith, Jerry; Schroeder, Robert; Freed, Jim. 2006. Nontimber forest product opportunities in Alaska. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-671. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 79 p
KeywordsNontimber forest products, special forest products, Alaska, marketing opportunities
- Southeast Alaska economics: a resource-abundant region competing in a global marketplace.
- Opportunities for conservation-based development of nontimber forest products in the Pacific Northwest.
- Hunter demand for deer on Prince of Wales Island, Alaska: an analysis of influencing factors.
XML: View XML