Skip to Main Content
Forest statistics for West Tennessee counties - 1989Author(s): Dennis M. May; John S. Vissage
Source: Resour. Bull. SO-142. New Orleans, Louisiana: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 38 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southern Forest Experiment Station
Download Publication (0 B)
DescriptionThe 1989 survey of the west unit of Tennessee revealed the following:
- Timberland now covers 1,970.0 thousand acres, an 8.5 percent decline since 1980.
- Bottomland hardwood types fell 14.4 percent since 1980.
- Timberland acres in other federal ownership doubled to 71.2 thousand acres.
- Timberland acres held by farmers fell 22.6 percent to 678.5 thousand acres.
- Sawtimber-sized stands have increased and now comprise 58.9 percent of all timberland acres.
- Hardwood growing stock numbers are down 23.7 percent and softwood growing stock numbers are up 12.5 percent since 1980.
- Volume in grade 1 and 2 trees fell 25.3 percent since 1980.
- Net growth is up for growing stock and sawtimber even through mortality increased 23.6 percent for growing stock and 51.6 percent for sawtimber.
- Hardwood removals dropped by more than half, while softwood removals more than doubled.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMay, Dennis M.; Vissage, John S. 1989. Forest statistics for West Tennessee counties - 1989. Resour. Bull. SO-142. New Orleans, Louisiana: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 38 p.
- Forest statistics for Central Tennessee counties - 1989
- Forest statistics for Arkansas' Ozark counties - 1988
- Forest statistics for Arkansas' delta counties - 1988
XML: View XML