Skip to Main Content
Forest statistics for Central Tennessee counties - 1989Author(s): Dennis M. May; John S. Vissage
Source: Resour. Bull. SO-144. New Orleans, Louisiana: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 42 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (2.08 MB)
DescriptionThe 1989 survey of the Central Unit of Tennessee revealed the following:
- Timberland now covers 2,416.3 thousand acres, an increase of 14 percent since 1980.
- Ninety-five percent of the unit’s timberland is privately owned.
- Cedar and mixed cedar-hardwood stands occupy 456.1 thousand acres of timberland.
- Oak-hickory forests account for 79 percent of the unit’s timberland.
- Area in sawtimber-sized stands increased by 250 thousand acres with most of the increase in oak-hickory forest types.
- The number of hardwood growing-stock trees fell 17 percent, while softwood numbers increased 26 percent.
- Hardwood growing-stock volume climbed 55 percent to 2,304.7 million cubic feet and softwood growing-stock volume climbed 74 percent to 138.1 million cubic feet.
- Softwood sawtimber volumes more than doubled and hardwood sawtimber volumes increased by two-thirds since 1980.
- Hardwood sawtimber quality declined since 1980. Net growth increased for both growing stock and sawtimber despite a doubling in mortality.
- Removals increased for both growing stock and sawtimber but were concentrated in the sawtimber portion of the inventory.
- Growth exceeds removals by roughly 3 to 1.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMay, Dennis M.; Vissage, John S. 1989. Forest statistics for Central Tennessee counties - 1989. Resour. Bull. SO-144. New Orleans, Louisiana: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 42 p.
- Forest statistics for Central Mississippi counties - 1987
- Forest statistics for South Mississippi counties - 1987
- Forest statistics for Arkansas' delta counties - 1988
XML: View XML