Skip to Main Content
A 10-year analysis of South Carolina's industrial timber products outputAuthor(s): Richard L. Welch; Thomas R. Bellamy
Source: Resour. Bull. SE-48. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 27 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southeastern Forest Experiment Station
PDF: View PDF (492 KB)
DescriptionThe output of industrial timber products in South Carolina increased at an average annual rate of 2 percent between 1967 and 1976. Output from roundwood increased by 36 million cubic feet, while the output from plant byproducts increased 47 million cubic feet. Pulpwood was the leading roundwood product in the State throughout the period, followed by saw logs, and then veneer logs. At the end of the period, round pulpwood production was up by almost 10 percent, saw log production was down by almost 5 percent, and veneer log production had more than tripled. All of the gains in product output came from the softwood species group. Products from the hardwood species group declined sharply. There was a clear and constant shift in production from the Coastal forests to those along the Savannah River. The volume of unused plant residues dropped from over 22 million cubic feet to less than 6 million cubic feet.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWelch, Richard L.; Bellamy, Thomas R. 1979. A 10-year analysis of South Carolina''s industrial timber products output. Resour. Bull. SE-48. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 27 p.
- South Carolina's industrial timber products output, 1977-1981
- Georgia's timber industry - an assessment of timber product output and use, 1995
- Mississippi's timber industry - an assessment of timber product output and use, 2002
XML: View XML