Skip to Main Content
Stress-wave velocity of wood-based panels: effect of moisture, product type, and material directionAuthor(s): Guangping Han; Qinglin Wu; Xiping Wang
Source: Forest products journal. Vol. 56, no. 1 (Jan. 2006): Pages 28-33
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (198 KB)
DescriptionThe effect of moisture on longitudinal stress-wave velocity (SWV), bending stiffness. and bending strength of commercial oriented strandboard, plywood. particleboard. and southern pine lumber was evaluated. It was shown that the stress-wave verocity decreased in general with increases in panel moisture content (MC). At a given MC level. SWV varied with panel type and test directions. Regression equations relating SWV to MC and bending properties (modulus of elasticity [MOE] and modulus of rupture [MOR] were established for various products. Both MOE and MOR at different MCs can be estimated by observing the speed of propagation of a longitudinal wave. This information is useful for developing moisture correction factors on the stress-wave related properties for wood-based panel products.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHan, Guangping; Wu, Qinglin; Wang, Xiping. 2006. Stress-wave velocity of wood-based panels: effect of moisture, product type, and material direction. Forest products journal. Vol. 56, no. 1 (Jan. 2006): Pages 28-33
KeywordsLumber, moisture, modulus of elasticity, elasticity, wave mechanics, stress waves, bending, particle board, nondestructive testing, plywood, southern pine, oriented strandboard, OSB, stiffness, bending strength, moisture content
- Nondestructive evaluation of green wood using stress wave and transverse vibration techniques
- Fiberboard bending properties as a function of density, thickness, resin, and moisture content
- Effects of size and moisture on stress wave E-rating of structural lumber
XML: View XML