Skip to Main Content
Changes in output of industrial timber products in North Carolina, 1973-1979Author(s): Cecil C. Hutchins
Source: Resour. Bull. SE-70. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 28 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southeastern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (571 KB)
DescriptionMore than 534 million cubic feet of industrial roundwood products were harvested from North Carolina forests during 1979, 2 percent more than in 1976 but 7 percent less than in 1973. Saw logs and pulpwood were the leading roundwood products with 91 percent of output. Byproduct output increased from 94 million cubic feet in 973 to more than 144 million cubic feet in 1979, a 53 percent increase. A total of 530 primary wood-using plants operated in North Carolina during 1979, an increase of more than 100 plants, mostly sawmills, since 1973. North Carolina's output of 534 million cubic feet of industrial roundwood exceeded receipts by 15 million cubic feet in 1979, making the State a net exporter of industrial roundwood. A trend toward complete utilization of residues continued. Use of residues was 87 percent for bark, 98 percent for coarse materials, 89 percent for sawdust, and 97 percent for shavings.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHutchins, Cecil C., Jr. 1983. Changes in output of industrial timber products in North Carolina, 1973-1979. Resour. Bull. SE-70. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 28 p.
Keywordsroundwood products, plant byproducts, softwood products, hardwood products, unused plant residues, roundwood receipts, wood movement
- South Carolina's timber industry-an assessment of timber product output and use, 2005
- Changes in North Carolina's industrial roundwood products output, 1987-1990
- North Carolina's timber industry - an assessment of timber product output and use, 2003
XML: View XML