Skip to Main Content
Cerulean Warbler Status AssessmentAuthor(s): Paul B. Hamel
Source: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, April 2000
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionCerulean warbler, Dendroica cerulea (Wilson), is a wood warbler in the Subfamily Parulinae of the Family Emberizidae, Order Passeriformes. No controversial or unsettled issues exist in the taxonomy of this bird. The numbers of cerulean warblers are declining at rates comparable to the most precipitous rates documented among North American birds by the cooperative Breeding Bird Survey. Recent evidence suggests that events on breeding, stopover, and wintering grounds are implicated in this decline. However, no detailed life history study of the species exists. This status assessment is an attempt to assemble what is known of the species into a form that will enable biologists in the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to make a decision on whether or not to propose listing of the species under the Endangered Species Act. The report will also help the Service and others establish priorities for monitoring; research; and habitat protection, restoration, and management that will conserve this species.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHamel, Paul B. 2000. Cerulean Warbler Status Assessment. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, April 2000
- El Grupo Cerúleo: Cooperation for Non-breeding Season Conservation of the Cerulean Warbler
- How can we learn more about the Cerulean Warbler (Dendroica cerulea)
- Initial cerulean warbler response to experimental silvicultural manipulations, Desha County, Arkansas
XML: View XML