Skip to Main Content
2000 national fire plan and its ramifications for wood supply from western national forestsAuthor(s): Henry Spelter; Peter Ince
Source: 2000 Statistical yearbook of the western lumber industry. Portland, Or. : Western Wood Products Association, Economic Services Dept., [2001?]: pages 9-12.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (47 KB)
DescriptionWill the National Forests become a more reliable supplier of timber again in conjunction with the National Fire Plan? The National Forests represent a major potential source of wood fiber in the West. They occupy 48% of the commercial forestland, hold 63% of the region?s softwood growing stock, and contribute 48% of its net annual growth. But in California, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington, timber sales have declined from an average of 8 billion board feet per year during 1960-1 990 to about 1.5 billion board feet since. The new millennium saw the lowest volumes offered since the Great Depression at less than 700 million board feet. This paper looks at historical contributions of the National Forests to the region?s timber supply and at contemporary prospects for supply in the context of the recently developed National Fire Plan.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSpelter, Henry; Ince, Peter. 2001. 2000 national fire plan and its ramifications for wood supply from western national forests. 2000 Statistical yearbook of the western lumber industry. Portland, Or. : Western Wood Products Association, Economic Services Dept., [2001?]: pages 9-12.
KeywordsForest fires, fire prevention, fire control, fire management, forest products, statistics, economic aspects, supply and demand, national forests
- United States timber industry - an assessment of timber product output and use, 1996
- Balancing Growth, Harvest, and Consumption of Hardwood Resources in the North Central Region
- 1971 Washington timber harvest.
XML: View XML