Skip to Main Content
Community based monitoring: engaging and empowering Alberta ranchersAuthor(s): Michael S. Quinn; Jennifer E. Dubois
Source: In: Gottfried, Gerald J.; Gebow, Brooke S.; Eskew, Lane G.; Edminster, Carleton B., comps. Connecting mountain islands and desert seas: biodiversity and management of the Madrean Archipelago II. Proc. RMRS-P-36. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station: 212-218
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (234 KB)
DescriptionCommunity based monitoring (CBM), a form of citizen science, is presented as a potential contributor to ecosystem management and sustainable development. A conceptual model for CBM and lessons learned from a Canadian national pilot program, the Canadian Community Monitoring Network, are summarized along with a description of the European university-based “science shop” approach. Local knowledge can be legitimized and validated through CBM programs, and participants are empowered to engage in the adaptive policy, planning, and management processes that affect their communities. Ranchers in southwestern Alberta are working collaboratively with the academic community to develop their own CBM program.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationQuinn, Michael S.; Dubois, Jennifer E. 2005. Community based monitoring: engaging and empowering Alberta ranchers. In: Gottfried, Gerald J.; Gebow, Brooke S.; Eskew, Lane G.; Edminster, Carleton B., comps. Connecting mountain islands and desert seas: biodiversity and management of the Madrean Archipelago II. Proc. RMRS-P-36. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station: 212-218
KeywordsCommunity based monitoring (CBM), citizen science, ecosystem management, ranchers, Alberta, Canada
- Engaging Industry in Community Decision Making for a Sustainable Future
- Lynx conservation in an ecosystem management context [Chapter 15]
- The need for a North American coordinated bird monitoring program
XML: View XML