Skip to Main Content
Proceedings of Border Institute VI: transboundary ecosystem managementAuthor(s): D. Rick Van Schoik
Source: In: Gottfried, Gerald J.; Gebow, Brooke S.; Eskew, Lane G.; Edminster, Carleton B., comps. Connecting mountain islands and desert seas: biodiversity and management of the Madrean Archipelago II. Proc. RMRS-P-36. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station: 380-383
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (125 KB)
DescriptionEcosystems are bisected by international borders along the United States-Mexican border; infrastructure and the heightened security activities bisect the north-south cores, corridors, and buffers essential to preservation of ecosystems. The Southwest Consortium for Environmental Research and Policy (SCERP) and its partners convened an annual policy conference, Border Institute VI, where participants developed 10 recommendations to affect change in current transboundary ecosystem management policies throughout the United States-Mexican border region. Recommendations addressed institutionalization of existing programs, sovereignty concerns, education of citizens, land use planning, funding and revenue streams, approaches to water protection, watershed assessment of the Rio Grande/Río Bravo and Colorado Rivers, a public relations campaign, and specific changes to existing border programs and organizations.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVan Schoik, D. Rick. 2005. Proceedings of Border Institute VI: transboundary ecosystem management. In: Gottfried, Gerald J.; Gebow, Brooke S.; Eskew, Lane G.; Edminster, Carleton B., comps. Connecting mountain islands and desert seas: biodiversity and management of the Madrean Archipelago II. Proc. RMRS-P-36. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station: 380-383
Keywordsinternational borders, ecosystems, policy, management, conservation, land use planning
- Blending ecology and evolution using emerging technologies to determine species distributions with a non-native pathogen in a changing climate
- Cronartium ribicola resistance in whitebark pine, southwestern white pine, limber pine and Rocky Mountain bristlecone pine - preliminary screening results from first tests at Dorena GRC
- A holistic approach to genetic conservation of Pinus strobiformis
XML: View XML