Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
A simulation study of hardwood rootstock populations in young loblolly pine plantationsAuthor(s): David R. Weise; Glenn R. Glover
Source: Simulation. 51: 3
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (93 KB)
DescriptionA computer program to simulate spatial distribution of hardwood rootstock populations is presented. Nineteen 3 to 6 yearold loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) plantations in Alabama and Georgia were measured to provide information for the simulator. Spatial pattern, expressed as Pielou's nonrandomness index (PNI), ranged from 0.47 to 2.45. Scatterplots illustrated no relationship between pattern, species relative density, site preparation, or stand age. Newnham's point pattern generator was modified to reduce execution time. Equations to predict program inputs as a function of PNI and desired number of points were developed for uniform, random, and randomly clumped populations. Total rootstock height distribution was fitted using a two-parameter, left- and right-truncated Weibull function. Crown area was determined conditionally by total rootstock height. The simulator may be used to generate populations for evaluating different sampling methods for hardwood rootstock attributes or in individual tree growth and yield models
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWeise, David R.; Glover, Glenn R. 1988. A simulation study of hardwood rootstock populations in young loblolly pine plantations. Simulation. 51: 3
Keywordshardwood, loblolly pine, spatial pattern, Pielou's index
- Simulating and sampling the hardwood component of loblolly pine plantations. In: Wensel, L.C.; Biging, G.S., tech
- Selecting a sampling method to aid in vegetation management decisions in loblolly pine plantations
- Growth model for uneven-aged loblolly pine stands : simulations and management implications
XML: View XML