Skip to Main Content
A comparison of tools for remotely estimating leaf area index in loblolly pine plantationsAuthor(s): Janet C. Dewey; Scott D. Roberts; Isobel Hartley
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-92. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 71-75
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (188 KB)
DescriptionLight interception is critical to forest growth and is largely determined by foliage area per unit ground, the measure of which is leaf area index (LAI). Summer and winter LAI estimates were obtained in a 17-year-old loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) spacing trial in Mississippi, using three replications with initial spacings of 1.5, 2.4, and 3.0 m. Direct estimates of summer LAI were made in August of 2001 using allometric methods. Monthly litter trap collections were used to determine the change in LAI between August and January; winter LAI was derived by subtraction from summer values. Indirect estimates of LAI were made using a LI-COR LAI-2000 Plant Canopy Analyzer (PCA) and hemispherical photography in conjunction with Delta-T HemiView 2.1 software. As remote estimators of LAI, both the PCA and hemispherical photographs underestimated summer maximum LAI, and neither tool appeared to be sensitive to seasonal change in LAI.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDewey, Janet C.; Roberts, Scott D.; Hartley, Isobel. 2006. A comparison of tools for remotely estimating leaf area index in loblolly pine plantations. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-92. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 71-75
- Monthly leaf area index estimates from point-in-time measurements and needle phenology for Pinus taeda
- Leaf area index (LAI) of loblolly pine and emergent vegetation following a harvest
- LAI-2000 Accuracy, Precision, and Application to Visual Estimation of Leaf Area Index of Loblolly Pine
XML: View XML