Skip to Main Content
Impact of defoliation on height and diameter of a first year rising cottonwood plantationAuthor(s): T. Keith Beatty; W. Doug Stone; T. Evan Nebeker
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-92. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 255
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (33.9 KB)
DescriptionIn 2003, an 8-year study was initiated to determine the impact of herbivores on three selected eastern cottonwood clones. The plantation, managed by MeadWestvaco, is located just north of Hayti, Pemiscot County, MO. Each clone was planted in 100 (10 x 10) tree plots. There was a total of 8 blocks, each of which contained all 3 clones (300 trees). Four of the eight blocks were not protected from defoliation (untreated) and the remaining four (treated) were treated with an insecticide to control the cottonwood leaf beetle (CLB) (Chrysomela scripta F.) and other incidental herbivores. The 8-year objective is to determine the overall losses and/or gains associated with controlling or not controlling defoliation caused primarily by the CLB.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBeatty, T. Keith; Stone, W. Doug; Nebeker, T. Evan. 2006. Impact of defoliation on height and diameter of a first year rising cottonwood plantation. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-92. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 255
- Impact of herbivory by cottonwood leaf beetle on three selected cottonwood clones: year 2 results
- Growth responses of woody species to long- and short-term fumigation with sulfur dioxide
- Effects of light regime and IBA concentration on adventitious rooting of an eastern cottonwood (Populus deltoides) clone
XML: View XML