Skip to Main Content
Mercury and Organic Carbon Relationships in Streams Draining Forested Upland/Peatland WatershedsAuthor(s): Randall K. Kolka; D.F. Grigal; E.S. Verry; E.A. Nater
Source: Reprinted from the Journal of Environmental Quality Volume 28, no. 3, May-June 1999.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (321 KB)
DescriptionWe determined the fluxes of total mercury (HgT), total organic carbon (TOC), and dissolved organic carbon (DOC) from five upland/peatland watersheds at the watershed outlet. The difference between TOC and DOC was defined as particulate OC (POC). Concentrations of HgT showed moderate to strong relationships with POC (R2 = 0.77) when ah watersheds were grouped. Although POC only accounts for 10 to 20% of the OC transported, we estimate that it is associated with 52 to 80% of the HgT transported from the five watersheds. Total transport of HgT from the watersheds ranged from 0.70 to 2.82 µg m-1 yr-1. Watershed geometry and hydrology play important roles in determining the influence of OC on HgT transport in forested watersheds. Watershed properties such as peatland area have considerable promise as predictors for estimating HgT transport in streams draining forested watersheds in the Great Lakes States.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKolka, Randall K.; Grigal, D.F.; Verry, E.S.; Nater, E.A. 1999. Mercury and Organic Carbon Relationships in Streams Draining Forested Upland/Peatland Watersheds. Reprinted from the Journal of Environmental Quality Volume 28, no. 3, May-June 1999.
- Mercury and Organic Carbon Relationships in Streams Draining Forested Upland/Peatland Watersheds
- Hydrologic cycling of mercury and organic carbon in a forested upland-bog watershed
- Measurement and importance of dissolved organic carbon. Chapter 13
XML: View XML