Skip to Main Content
Adjusting slash pine growth and yield for silvicultural treatmentsAuthor(s): Stephen R. Logan; Barry D. Shiver
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-92. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 328-332
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (200 KB)
DescriptionWith intensive silvicultural treatments such as fertilization and competition control now commonplace in today's slash pine (Pinus elliottii Engelm.) plantations, a method to adjust current growth and yield models is required to accurately account for yield increases due to these practices. Some commonly used ad-hoc methods, such as raising site index, have been found to inadequately account for yield responses seen in designed studies. Based on data from a Plantation Management Research Cooperative (PMRC) slash pine site preparation study, a PMRC slash pine improved planting stock – vegetation control study, and a PMRC slash pine mid-rotation release study, two model forms have been fit to account for fertilization, competition control, bedding, and mid-rotation release. These models are used to adjust current dominant height and basal area equations for the various treatments. The model forms, different treatment response patterns, and magnitude of each treatment response are presented.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLogan, Stephen R.; Shiver, Barry D. 2006. Adjusting slash pine growth and yield for silvicultural treatments. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-92. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 328-332
- Herbicide comparions for mid-rotation competition release in loblolly and slash pine
Specific gravity responses of slash and loblolly pine following mid-rotation fertilization
- An economic comparison of slash and loblolly pine under various levels of management in the lower Atlantic and gulf coastal plain
XML: View XML