Skip to Main Content
Characteristics of a bottomland hardwood forest under greentree reservoir management in East Central ArkansasAuthor(s): Michael R. Guttery; Andrew W. Ezell
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-92. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 409-411
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (44 KB)
DescriptionGreentree reservoirs are a viable option for creating habitat and hunting opportunities for migrating waterfowl. Unfortunately, the prolonged annual flooding often associated with greentree reservoir management can be highly detrimental to many of the desirable tree species in these stands. In the summer of 2004, a total of 327 plot centers were established in a greentree reservoir under an annual flooding regime. At each plot center, a nested plot design was used to establish a 1/5-acre overstory plot, a 1/40-acre midstory plot, and a 1/100-acre understory plot. Our objective was to characterize the vegetative composition and abundance in a bottomland hardwood stand which had been under an annual flooding regime for over 50 years. Results indicate that overcup oak is dominant in all three vertical layers while the more desirable willow oak is common only in the overstory.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGuttery, Michael R.; Ezell, Andrew W. 2006. Characteristics of a bottomland hardwood forest under greentree reservoir management in East Central Arkansas. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-92. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 409-411
- Longhorned Beetles in Greentree reservoirs and Naturally Flooded Bottomland Hardwood Stands
- Production of willow oak acorns in an Arkansas greentree reservoir: an evaluation of regeneration and waterfowl forage potential
- Radial growth responses of upland oaks following recurrent restoration treatments in northern Mississippi
XML: View XML