Skip to Main Content
Effects of prescribed fire on production of foliage by sapling longleaf pineAuthor(s): Mary Anne Sword Sayer; J.C.G. Goelz; James D. Haywood
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-92. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 478-485
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (474 KB)
DescriptionWe conducted an experiment that was designed to show how interaction between prescribed fire and branch phenology affects the growth of planted longleaf pine (Pinus palustris P. Mill.). Treatments were no control of vegetation, vegetation control by burning, and vegetation control by application of herbicides. In the plots burned in May 2003, > 50 percent of the foliage was scorched. In 2004, annual increments of biomass production were similar on the burned and herbicide plots and were greater on the burned plots than on the control plots. A larger proportion of leaf area occurred in the upper crown on the burned and herbicide plots than on the control plots, and a larger proportion of upper crown leaf area was secondflush foliage on the burned plots than on the control and herbicide plots. Results of this experiment suggest that newly established upper crown leaf area contributed to annual biomass production after burning
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSword Sayer, Mary Anne; Goelz, J.C.G.; Haywood, James D. 2006. Effects of prescribed fire on production of foliage by sapling longleaf pine. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-92. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 478-485
- Assessing longleaf pine (Pinus palustris) restoration after southern pine beetle kill using a compact experimental design
- Effects of Crown Scorch on Longleaf Pine Fine Roots
- How does fire affect longleaf pine roots carbohydrates, foliar nutrients, and sapling growth?
XML: View XML