Skip to Main Content
Early response of interplanted nuttall oak to release from an eastern cottonwood overstoryAuthor(s): Emile S. Gardiner
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-92. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 611-614
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (156 KB)
DescriptionForest restoration activity in the Lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley has generated a demand for alternative afforestation practices that can accommodate diverse landowner objectives. An alternative afforestation practice now being studied involves rapid establishment of a forest canopy of eastern cottonwood (Populus deltoides Bartr. ex Marsh.), followed by interplanting with seedlings of slower-growing bottomland hardwood species. An experiment conducted in Mississippi shows that Nuttall oak (Quercus nuttallii Palm.) seedlings can develop into vigorous sapling-sized reproduction when interplanted in the understory of eastern cottonwood, and that the cottonwood overstory can be harvested without adversely affecting the interplanted reproduction. Harvesting damage was minimal, and excellent survival, vigorous sprouting, and adequate growth of Nuttall oak reproduction interplanted beneath eastern cottonwood indicate that Nuttall oak reproduction can be established under and released from an eastern cottonwood overstory.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGardiner, Emile S. 2006. Early response of interplanted nuttall oak to release from an eastern cottonwood overstory. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-92. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 611-614
- Photosynthesis of Nuttall oak (Quercus nuttallii Palm.) seedlings interplanted beneath an eastern cottonwood (Populus deltoides Bartr. Ex Marsh.) nurse crop
- An Afforestation System for Restoring Bottomland Hardwood Forests: Biomass Accumulation of Nuttall Oak Seedlings Interplanted Beneath Eastern Cottonwood
- Effect of Glomus spp. on the growth of eastern cottonwood cuttings
XML: View XML