Skip to Main Content
Using rainfall simulators to test wood shreddings for erosion controlAuthor(s): James Gronier; Randy Foltz; Charlie Showers
Source: Engineering tech tips 0571-2329-MTDC. Missoula, MT: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Technology & Development Program. 6 p
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (362 KB)
DescriptionThe U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service is considering alternative methods of erosion control when constructing roads, decommissioning roads, protecting lands burned by wildland fires, and reclaiming lands disturbed by other activities. This article is the second in a series of tech tips that discuss the use of wood shreddings for erosion control. The first tech tip, Shredding Small Trees To Create Mulch for Erosion Control (0471–2335–MTDC, http://www. fs.fed.us/eng/t-d.php) discussed the benefits of using wood shreddings rather than straw for erosion control, described three commercially available pieces of equipment that could manufacture shred-dings, and presented information on a project that used this technology.
The first tech tip did not present quantitative data to show how much shreddings reduce sedimentation and erosion. This tech tip discusses tests of shreddings using a rainfall simulator built at the Rocky Mountain Research Station (RMRS) laboratory in Moscow, ID. The testing was completed in the spring of 2005.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGronier, James; Foltz, Randy; Showers, Charlie. 2005. Using rainfall simulators to test wood shreddings for erosion control. Engineering tech tips 0571-2329-MTDC. Missoula, MT: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Technology & Development Program. 6 p
Keywordsrainfall simulators, wood shreddings, erosion control
- Soil erosion in humid regions: a review
- Silt fences: An economical technique for measuring hillslope soil erosion
- Annotated bibliography on soil erosion and erosion control in subarctic and high-latitude regions of North America.
XML: View XML