Skip to Main Content
Information about wilderness visitors and recreation impacts: is it adequate?Author(s): David N. Cole; Vita Wright
Source: International journal of wilderness. 10(1): 27-31
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (163 KB)
DescriptionThe Wilderness Act of 1964 (P.L. 88-577) established a National Wilderness Preservation System (NWPS) to be administered “for the use and enjoyment of the American people in such manner as will leave them unimpaired for future use and enjoyment as wilderness.” To provide for the use and enjoyment of these areas while preserving their wilderness character, it is important to study and monitor wilderness recreation visitors and the impacts they have. Some people state that The Wilderness Act mandates that recreation impacts not be allowed to increase following wilderness designation (Worf 2001). Ideally, baseline conditions should be inventoried at the time each area is designated as wilderness and added to the NWPS, and then periodically monitored in the future to assess trends in conditions and the efficacy of existing recreation management programs. Such data will become increasingly valuable to future attempts to evaluate trends in the wilderness character of each area in the NWPS.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCole, David N.; Wright, Vita. 2004. Information about wilderness visitors and recreation impacts: is it adequate?. International journal of wilderness. 10(1): 27-31
Keywordswilderness, recreation, visitors, impacts, information, campsites, trails
- A monitoring strategy for the national wilderness preservation system
- Wilderness experiences: what should we be managing for?
- Developing indicators to monitor the "outstanding opportunities" quality of wilderness character
XML: View XML