Skip to Main Content
A regional protocol for evaluating the effectiveness of forestry best management practices at controlling erosion and sedimentationAuthor(s): Roger Ryder; Pamela Edwards; Pamela Edwards
Source: In: Proceedings of the Eighth Federal Interagency Sedimentation Conference; 2006 April 2-6; Reno, NV. [Place of publication unknown]: [U.S. Subcommitte on Sedimentation]. 7 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (1.79 MB)
DescriptionForestry operations do not have permitting requirements under the Clean Water Act because there is a ccsilvicultural exemption" given in that law, as long as best management practices (BMPs) are used to help control non-point source pollution. However, states' monitoring of BMP effectiveness often has been sporadic and anecdotal, and the procedures used have varied widely. Consequently, there are inconsistencies in the rigor used to evaluate BMP effectiveness, and thus, the objectiveness and accuracy of those evaluations. As a result of litigation questioning the "silvicultural exemption", the US Environmental Protection Agency has expressed interest in improving the monitoring of BMP effectiveness. Since 1990, several approaches for developing consistent BMP evaluations and reporting methodologies have had varying degrees of success, utility, and acceptance.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
CitationRyder, Roger; Edwards, Pamela. 2006. A regional protocol for evaluating the effectiveness of forestry best management practices at controlling erosion and sedimentation. In: Proceedings of the Eighth Federal Interagency Sedimentation Conference; 2006 April 2-6; Reno, NV. [Place of publication unknown]: [U.S. Subcommitte on Sedimentation]. 7 p.
Keywordsforest management, erosion, sedimentation
- A new design to evaluate erosion and sediment control
- Development of a Repeatable Regional Protocol for Performance-Based Monitoring of Forestry Best Management Practices
- Influence of forest roads and BMPs on soil erosion
XML: View XML