Skip to Main Content
Growth potential of the family camping marketAuthor(s): W.F. LaPage; W.F. LaPage
Source: Res. Pap. NE-252. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 25 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (4.39 MB)
DescriptionA study of the camping market's short-term growth potential, based upon interviews with the heads of 2,003 representative American households. The study estimates the size of the potential camping market and divides it into three segments: those families with a high, medium and low propensity to become campers. The developed camping market is also divided into an active and an inactive segment, determined by camping participation during the 12 months preceding the survey. The total camping market is estimated to include 12.6 million active camping families, 9 million inactive, and 10 million potential camping families. Regional distributions and characteristics of each segment are described.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLaPage, W.F. 1973. Growth potential of the family camping market. Res. Pap. NE-252. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 25 p.
- Analysis of the campground market in the Northeast, report III: a perspective on the camping-involvement cycle
- Camping and RV travel trends
- 1978 national camping market survey
XML: View XML