Skip to Main Content
Insects and Diseases of CottonwoodAuthor(s): R.C. Morris; T.H. Filer; J.D. Solomon; Francis I. McCracken; N.A. Overgaard; M.J. Weiss
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SO-8. New Orleans, LA: U.S. Dept of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 41 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Forest Experiment Station
PDF: View PDF (2.26 MB)
DescriptionInsects and disease organisms are a continuing threat to cottonwood (Populus deltoides Bartr.), especially during the tree's first 5 years. The danger is intensified in large plantings of a single species and age because rapid buildup of damaging agents can occur. This booklet, will help forest nurserymen and plantation managers identify and control pest problems. The major insects and diseases are illustrated; and information on their importance, signs of infestation, biology, and natural control is presented. Brief mention is made of other pests which may be of local or sporadic concern. A list of registered chemical controls is also provided. This list is subject to change as new materials are approved, and revisions will be made available at periodic intervals. For further information, contact your State forester, county agent, or the nearest office of State and Private Forestry, U. S. Forest Service.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMorris, R.C.; Filer, T.H.; Solomon, J.D.; McCracken, Francis I.; Overgaard, N.A.; Weiss, M.J. 1975. Insects and Diseases of Cottonwood. Gen. Tech. Rep. SO-8. New Orleans, LA: U.S. Dept of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 41 p.
- Crossing eastern cottonwood in the greenhouse
- Early response of interplanted nuttall oak to release from an eastern cottonwood overstory
- Populus deltoides Bartr ex Marsh.
XML: View XML