Skip to Main Content
When reintroductions are augmentations: the genetic legacy of the fisher (Martes pennanti) in MontanaAuthor(s): Ray S. Vinkey; Michael K. Schwartz; Kevin S. McKelvey; Kerry R. Foresman; Kristine L. Pilgrim; Brian J. Giddings; Eric C. Lofroth
Source: Journal of Mammalogy. 87(2): 265-271.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (197.36 KB)
DescriptionFishers (Martes pennanti) were purportedly extirpated from Montana by 1930 and extant populations are assumed to be descended from translocated fishers. To determine the lineage of fisher populations, we sequenced 2 regions of the mitochondrial DNA genome from 207 tissue samples from British Columbia, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Montana. In northwestern Montana, fishers share haplotypes with samples from the upper Midwest and British Columbia; in west-central Montana, we detected haplotypes found in British Columbia samples, but also detected a control region and cytochrome-b haplotype not found in source populations. Based on the unique haplotypes found in west-central Montana, we propose that individuals with these haplotypes are descended from a relic population. Fishers in northwestern Montana are likely descended from fishers from the Midwest and British Columbia.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVinkey, Ray S.; Schwartz, Michael K.; McKelvey, Kevin S.; Foresman, Kerry R.; Pilgrim, Kristine L.; Giddings, Brian J.; Lofroth, Eric C. 2006. When reintroductions are augmentations: The genetic legacy of the fisher (Martes pennanti) in Montana. Journal of Mammalogy. 87(2): 265-271.
Keywordsaugmentation, control region, Cytb, fisher, genetics, mitochondrial DNA, reintroduction, translocation, Martes pennanti, Montana
- Ancient DNA confirms native Rocky Mountain fisher (Martes pennanti) avoided early 20th century extinction
- Fisher population and landscape genetics
- Conservation genetics of the fisher (Martes pennanti) based on mitochondrial DNA sequencing
XML: View XML